Your Ad Here

Thursday, January 6, 2011

There went Winter Vacation


Well the children went back to preschool today marking the end of the winter vacation.  Unfortunately for mommy and daddy it isn`t much of a vacation.  In fact, I know for my wife it was a lot more work having them home all day.


I got a little artsy with this photo, I hope you like it :)

Overall it was a mellow vacation time, no big trips or anything special besides Christmas presents for the girls.  The girls ate a lot of mocchi over the break.  If you don`t know what Mocchi is click here.  It is a traditional Japanese food eaten during New Years` time.  It is smashed white rice that has been hardened and preserved and is melted and mixed with soups or other sweet flavors.  It is very sticky, and messy when kids eat it, if you get my drift...

So besides trying to catch up on rest, cleaning, and other errands it was a fun time.  Although it often feels like we need a vacation from our vacation. 

Also the end of this winter break brings the realization that this is the last year with the girls as preschoolers. Next semester Anna will be going to grade school and life will take on a whole new flavor.  Part of me is excited to see her grow up...wants her to grow up, wants her to overcome her immaturity, but I know I will miss the sillyness, the dancing, the spontaneous singing, and all the other things that preschoolers do that are so precious.  I hope and pray that she never loses those things. 

Loving children in their immaturity is so important.  I think it is a lesson for me in parenting.  The world is stressful and I come home wanting things to be perfect..or normal in a way.  I can easily come home and turn into an angry, irritated daddy.  I need to make sure that my daughters are confident in my love for them even in their immaturity.  I want them to know that being alive and being with me is enough to make me happy and want to love them.

So passes another season...another vacation...now we must face another winter together...just three more months !

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean, it can definitely be exhausting having the children around all day; and I only have the one at the moment.

    Enjoying your girls as they are right now is so important, and very hard to do at times. Sometimes with all the other stresses of life I forget to appreciate the little things. It sounds like you have a good handle on it though.

    Happy you enjoyed the holidays, I'd love to see what it's like to integrate my traditions into a Japanese lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete